Sunday, July 13, 2008

Missing System Icons in Windows Vista

ISSUE:

Missing System Icons in Windows Vista

This happened to me twice when I was using Windows XP: I just could not enable the Volume icon for at my notification area. Tried as much as I could, there is no way I could make it appear until I found a super long and detailed entry dedicated to fixing this weird error.

A similar problem occurred to me on Windows Vista today: I just can’t make my Network icon show up in the notification area using the usual method:

1. Task bar properties
2. Notification Area
3. Select which system icons to always show

SOLUTION:

Appears that there is a more advanced fix for it involving the registry and it worked! From Samuel’s blog:

1. Run “regedit” (Registry Editor)
2. Find “iconstreams”
3. Delete all registry keys with names “IconStreams” and “PastIconStreams” until “iconstreams” can no longer be found in the registry
4. Restart Windows Vista
5. Enable the missing icon using the usual method


Techalang Picks:





No comments: